Sunday, September 29, 2013

Rossini: La Cenerentola - Metropolitan Opera



Musically satisfying
I saw this production live onstage in 1997 with Cecilia Bartoli in the title role (Alessandro Corbelli was the Dandini, Ramon Vargas the prince, Michele Pertusi the Alidoro, with Levine conducting), and have to say that I'd rather have had that cast on DVD. That said, there is some wonderful singing and music-making among this cast. Corbelli, one of operatic history's greatest Dandinis, is now very much in demand as Don Magnifico, as is Lawrence Brownlee as Prince Ramiro. Garanca is a physically lovely and vocally elegant Cenerentola; her heroine is both touching and strong. Brownlee possesses considerable musicality and a formidable technique, despite his tendency to sing with his head a bit sideways; and Corbelli displays his usual undisputed mastery with character and text, creating a more "human" and less farcical Magnifico than is more often seen. The Alidoro and Dandini are quite serviceable, if unremarkable.

Soundwise, there seem to be some problems with the mics...

A marvelous production of one of Rossini's greatest operas
I first saw this production broadcast on television, and was instantly captivated. I have been waiting impatiently for it to come out on dvd ever since. Cenerentola has long been one of my very favorite operas, and I tend to be a very critical viewer. I have seen some wonderful interpretations of this beloved classic, but this production, for me, remains at the very top of the list.

All the singers are phenomenal, both the leads and the supporting cast, and the acting is first class, all around. Elina Garanca looks the part of Cinderella perfectly. The Prince has some peculiar facial expressions at times, but really, his singing is utterly superb. I cannot say I have had the pleasure of hearing a better tenor leggiero than this, not even in Juan Diego Flores, who is likewise fabulous. The entire cast and crew had a blast with this production, and it shows. The image of the tall, broad-shouldered Alidoro sporting his tiny little angel wings during his first act aria never...

Mixed bag
This is a beatifully sung, but, on the whole, unremarkable performance.

Elina Garanca is the highlight in the title role. She exhibits a lovely voice, excellent technique and beguiling acting. Indeed, she's the best part of this persentation. Lawrence Brownlee sings beautifully, but it's hard to overlook the disadvantages of his stature. His Dandini towers over him and even Cenerentola is much taller than he. I'm sure I'll return to this DVD to HEAR him, but I think I'll just play the music and not watch the video. Alberghini, Reylea and Cobelli are fine in their respective roles.

The production is inoffensive, if just a bit silly. Like another reivewer, I didn't like Alidoro's angel wings, espcially as Rossini intentionally left the supernatural out of this opera. I also thought the oversized wedding cake in the final scene was over-the-top rather than entertaining.

On the whole, the DVDs with von Stade (my personal favourite) and Bartoli...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment