Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Appeared



VERY SCARY & HAUNTING WITH MINOR FLAWS
This movie was quite a pleasant and horrifying surprise! It was well directed with a pervasive sense of dread, nail-biting suspense, and delivers several jolting shocks of terror. The only problem I had with it were a few instances where characters suddenly do stupid things that go against all rational judgement under the circumstances. Aside from a few of these flaws (sure to be exploited by the haters) the movie overall is very tight and some scenes of suspense are VERY INTENSE. There are some stunning revelations as well, which makes it more interesting than your average horror movie. The political aspect of the story isn't overpowering and is only briefly discussed, providing a suitable backdrop for the horror. There are really no boring scenes and there is an abundance of stark terror that will surely satisfy those looking for real scares. Yes, this is a Spanish language movie with subtitles but those who won't watch movies just because they have subtitles will be missing a great...

Worth putting up with subtitles!
This is a horror movie with the sub genre of haunting or ghost story and let me tell you, good ghost stories are hard to come by. It had at least one or two "jump out of your seat" moments. It was eery, intense with it's share of action, but what surprised me the most was that it was a very emotionally moving picture.

I like to multitask so for me to sit and watch a movie with subtitles the movie has to be well worth it and this one was! I know just enough Spanish to know that at least some of the subtitles were way off, but the visuals told such a good story I didn't care. I couldn't fold clothes or sort through my mail or Ebay or shop, but I am glad because it was well worth my full attention and I didn't lose interest. I usually don't want to watch horror before bed, but the ending didn't leave me too afraid to go down into my dungeon to sleep. :) That is not to say I won't have nightmares, but that's part of the fun!

A total success!
A thinking man's horror film that will chill your bones. Brilliant and spine-tingling. If you're a fan of supernatural thrillers, this is the film for you. Best I've seen in years.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment