Monday, October 7, 2013

Margaret Cho: Beautiful



Great Jokes, but a Desperate Show
The excellent part of this live stand-up show is that Margaret Cho begins at full throttle, with the powerful political and sexual material she usually saves for the end. The sad part is that this leaves her nowhere to go. When she starts out full-bore, that makes her push to maintain that energy, and leaves her nothing to finish with. Which probably explains her final show-stopper, a raunchy song that should earn a standing ovation, but just leaves me thinking: "Wow, this goes on a bit, doesn't it?"

Recorded in the run-up to the 2008 election, this show is half comedy and half call to action. Of course, that's par for Margaret Cho's course. If you've seen her before, little here will surprise you. Cho's humor is based on seeing the world from a skewed angle, letting her point out truths that most of us miss. And she doesn't let us down: every joke is up to her standards. Every line will either make you laugh or offend you, and for the same reason, because she's...

Not up to her usual razor's edge
I own and enjoy all of Margaret Cho's stand-up comedy DVD's. In my opinion, each one of them has gotten progressively less funny. There is a lack of new material, a lack of real enthusiasm on her part for her humor and her fans ... she seems more like a political activitist that tells a few jokes now. Just not what I'd hoped for, but pretty much what I expected.

Too Bad
I used to be a huge fan of Margaret Cho, but I wonder if her best work is behind her. This show was vular and lazy. I am certainly not a prude but I don't think you have to be gross to be funny, and Cho certainly doesn't. She's done great work in the past,and I know she has the wit and heart to create hilarious comedy. But I think she's confused about who she needs to be right now. She's decided that the gay and lesbian community is her only audience. That's fine, but I still don't see why that means being completely crass and sophmoric. It's not like my gay and lesbian friends go around talking about thier "parts" all the time. They're not sex-obsessed and immature, so why does Margaret think she needs to write her jokes that way?

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment